My kids are OBSESSED with what they call “O Bars” in this house. I swear, they can eat 25 a day and still be hungry! So, I decided to start making my own (healthier) version of their favorite chocolate chip granola bars!
I make this recipe every other week or so, and my kiddos absolutely love them! Not to mention, it seems that these granola bars can actually fill them up (I doubt they could eat 25 of these a day!).
If you’re worried about the ground flax seed, don’t worry! It doesn’t affect the flavor at all and your kids won’t even notice this healthier version!
I also used local honey- which is said to be great for seasonal allergy sufferers, and sugar free chocolate chips (my personal preference). But, you can use whatever version you’d like!
You can also add a number of other ingredients in place of the chocolate chips- pecans, raisins, dates, etc. This is a very customizable recipe!
And, if you don’t have steel cut oats on hand, no worries- just sub that with regular Old Fashioned Oats.
Chocolate Chip Granola BarsCourse: Snacks, Kid-friendly, Breakfast
4 cups Old Fashioned Oats
1 cup Steel Cut Oats
1/2 cup Honey
2 tbsp Ground Flax Seed
1 cup Milk
2 tsp Vanilla
2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients into a large bowl.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Press the mixture into the cookie sheet with a spatula and bake for 18 minutes.
- Press the mixture down with a spatula and cut into bars. Let cool on the cookie sheet in the refrigerator or freezer to firm.
- Place bars into snack size sandwhich baggies or wrap in plastic wrap.
- Store in refrigerator or freezer.